It’s traumatic to lose hair. We tie youth to our strands, and when they fall, it signals us into a panic, feeling every follicle of loss.
Hair loss can actually be a sign of renewal. Look around in nature and you will see the death of the old and birth of things new with every season. Loss is a natural process. Sometimes, however, hair loss can be dramatic and beyond a natural progression, however, due to illness, nutritional deficiencies, chronic inflammation, side effects of toxic pharmaceuticals, enormous stress, and hormonal shifts.
One main root cause of hair loss is thyroid abnormalities, which are inclusive of both being hypothyroid and hyperthyroid. Get a full thyroid panel to check your levels.
Another cause of hair loss is hormonal changes, such as what occurs with the reduction of estrogen levels in menopause. Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) can also shut down hair follicles due to higher circulating androgen levels.
Estrogen dominance is another hormonal cause of hair loss. When there is an imbalance in the endocrine system, hair loss may occur. Xenoestrogens are toxic substances that mimic estrogen in our system, and can affect both men and women. Xenoestrogens are the result of plastics, chemicals in food, cleaning products, cosmetics, air pollution, Teflon, and many other hidden places that disrupt hormone levels and affect the liver’s ability to remove excess hormone and toxins.
All illnesses being the result of chronic systemic inflammation will affect both your skin and hair. Reducing these inflammation levels with proper nutrition and herbal medicine will result in overall improvements to your complexion and hair.
Because of the hair growth cycle, what is happening on your head at this very moment is a sign of what happened to your body three months ago, so take a look back at possible root causes from the past, and move forward to create positive changes. Be patient!
Here’s a natural herbal list to help you get thicker, fuller hair:
- Rosemary: Rosemary has been used for centuries as a remedy for stimulating hair growth and eliminating gray hair. Rosemary works for hair loss by stimulating blood circulation in the scalp. Rosemary is also anti-inflammatory and contains nutrients that nourish the scalp, adding shine, soothing an inflamed scalp, and inevitably adding shine and thickness to hair.
- Spearmint: Drinking spearmint tea is particularly beneficial for hair loss associated with hormonal imbalances, particularly high androgen levels. Spearmint reduces free testosterone levels responsible for hair loss and helps balance hormones, such as in the case of PCOS.
- Saw Palmetto: Saw Palmetto is an herb that was historically revered by the Mayans and Native Americans. Saw Palmetto is originally from the Caribbean and grows readily in the southeastern United States. This herb blocks the conversion of testosterone into DHT, an androgen that causes male pattern baldness.
- Jamaican Black Castor Oil: Rich in Omega-9 and Omega-6 Fatty Acids, Jamaican Black Castor Oil nourishes the scalp and strengthens hair roots, making it an excellent treatment for hair loss caused by over-processing, chemical damage, dry, brittle and breaking hair as well as thin hair prone to breakage.
- Turmeric: Turmeric reduces systemic inflammation, which can be a culprit to dry, brittle hair and hair loss. Inflammation is the underlying cause of all disease. Curcumin, a constituent of turmeric, inhibits TGF beta one, a bodily chemical that causes the death of hair follicles. Rich in antioxidants, turmeric helps with systemic healing, which will improve the condition of your scalp and hair
- Horsetail: Horsetail improves the condition of brittle bones, hair, teeth and nails as well as improving acne. Horsetail contains the nutrient selenium, a mineral crucial to hair growth and the way our bodies process iodine. Therefore, horsetail is extremely beneficial to hair loss associated with thyroid abnormalities, particularly hypothyroidism, since selenium and iodine levels are directly related to thyroid function.
- Evening Primrose: Gamma linoleic acid present in evening primrose oil helps promote hair regeneration and growth. It also balances hormones, reduces inflammation, and contains beneficial antioxidant properties. The omega-6 fatty acids of gamma linoleic acid promote a healthy scalp and complexion.
Certain vitamin deficiencies can contribute to hair loss, including B vitamins. Methylation issues resulting in chronic inflammation and low utility of B vitamins may result in hair loss. Be sure to choose methyl folate over folic acid and methylcobalamin instead of cyanocobalamin. Our Methyl B Complete consists of these natural forms. These are the bioavailable forms your body will better absorb and are crucial for those with MTHFR and other genetic mutations that interfere with proper methylation.
Low levels of vitamin D may result in hair loss. Optimal levels are between 50-70, so be sure to get your levels checked. Magnesium is necessary for the absorption of vitamin D and is also responsible for over 300 body functions, so it’s important to also be certain you’re getting ample magnesium. Women require approximately 250-300 mg of magnesium a day; men need more, about 400 mg a day. Choose forms of magnesium that have high bioavailability and are gentle on the stomach, such as magnesium glycinate and magnesium malate. Our Optimum Magnesium contains both chelated forms.
Chronic gut issues may result in hair loss. Leaky Gut Syndrome, for example, results in systemic inflammation and poor nutrient absorption rates. Managing digestive issues with a product such as our Leaky Gut Defense may help quiet the fire and improve the absorption of nutrients. Gut issues are at the center of most chronic symptoms and illnesses, so they can’t be ignored.
Before you reach for chemicals and poisons such as Minoxidil for hair growth, check in with natural herbs, oils, and food that reduce systemic inflammation, naturally balance hormones, and promote hair growth. Your hair and skin are the true mirrors of your overall health. Nature can help you achieve natural health and beauty!