DIY All-Natural Hand Sanitizer
Want to stay healthy? One key is keeping your hands clean. Washing your hands is one of the best ways to optimize your health and help stop the spread of germs and viruses.
The Center for Disease Control (CDC) provides these instructions for hand washing:
Follow these five steps every time.
- Wet your hands with clean, running water (warm or cold), turn off the tap, and apply soap.
- Lather your hands by rubbing them together with the soap. Lather the backs of your hands, between your fingers, and under your nails.
- Scrub your hands for at least 20 seconds. Need a timer? Hum the “Happy Birthday” song from beginning to end twice.
- Rinse your hands well under clean, running water.
- Dry your hands using a clean towel or air dry them.
If soap and water are not available, your second best best at keeping your hands clean is using hand sanitizer. Look for one with 60% alcohol content and/or combined ingredients that contain antiviral/antibacterial properties.
Natural hand sanitizers have multiple benefits, particularly if they contain both alcohol and some water content, which will help penetrate the skin and provide more germ protection. Many natural hand sanitizers also contain oils that can help protect skin from dryness.
What you want to avoid are synthetic ingredients.Triclosan, for example, is currently being investigated by the FDA because it is a hormone disrupter and may be contributing to antibiotic resistance. For the same reasons, avoid parabens, phthalates, and synthetic fragrances.
Here's a Do-It-Yourself recipe that you can try at home to make 22 ounces of all-natural hand sanitizer. It may be stored safely for up to six months.
What You Need:
hand-held electric mixer
glass spray bottles (1-2 oz bottles for carry-around size; 4 oz for home use)
2 cups vodka
1 cup witch hazel
1/2 cup aloe
1 tablespoon jojoba oil
1 tablespoon xantam gum (thickening agent, optional)
2 tablespoon eucalyptus, lavender or peppermint essential oil
1 teaspoon frankincense essential oil
In a large mixing bowl, combine vodka, witch hazel, aloe, jojoba oil and Xantam gum. Mix with a hand-held electric mixer until it's combined into an even, white mixture.
Once combined, add in essential oils and mix again.
Pour contents (with a measuring cup) through funnel into glass containers.
Some anti-viral and antibacterial benefits of the natural ingredients above:
1. Vodka: Vodka is a natural disinfectant that can work to keep wounds, counter tops, hands and equipment clean and reduce the amount of bacteria.
2. Aloe gel: Aloe vera (Aloe barbadensis) has been used for thousands of years for the treatment of different ailments. Aloe naturally contains antiseptic properties that can kill bacteria and viruses.
3. Witch hazel: Contains several compounds with potent anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties
4. Jojoba Oil: Jojoba oil naturally has some bacteria and anti-viral properties as well as being anti-fungal. It can tackle candida and E-coli.
5. Eucalyptus Oil: Eucalyptus oil was used as an antiseptic agent during surgeries prior to the 20th century, as well as for cleaning catheters. It has been proven to effectively kill 22 types of harmful bacteria, including E. coli and Staphylococcus aureus.
Many bacteria strains have become antibiotic-resistant, Bacteria, however, are unlikely to build resistance to eucalyptus oil and other antibacterial essential oils.
6. Frankincense Oil: Considered the holy oil of the East for centuries, frankincense has antiseptic properties and can reduce inflammation. Studies have demonstrated frankincense essential oil's immune-supporting properties throughout the body.
1. Vegan ADK:
“Micellized" Vitamin A contains two forms of vitamin A (Palmitate and Beta-carotene) that have been micellized into extremely small droplets that are easily absorbed into the bloodstream. Each serving (5 drops) supplies 1,507 mcg RAE of vitamin A. This is an important nutrient that plays an essential role in healthy immune function and vision, normal growth and development, and the health of skin and mucous membrane.This product offers 5-IN-1-SUPPORT using Vitamin A and D3 along with two essential forms of K2 (MK-4 + MK-7).
2. Gluathione GOLD:
Glutathione is also known as the master antioxidant. It helps the body remove toxins and fight free radicals. Individuals with chronic illness, MTHFR and toxic overload caused by viruses, toxins, parasites, etc. may have difficulty with removing toxins, which further creates systemic inflammation.
Our Glutathione GOLD is comprised of s-acetyl glutathione, the most bioavailable oral-dose form, able to cross the blood-brain barrier and comparable to IV glutathione.
From our blood cells to our nerves and down to our DNA, Vitamin B12 is a critical vitamin for the health of our bodies. We've carefully formulated this highly bioavailable Vegan BioActive B12 to include ALL 3 bio-available forms of B12. Bioactive simply means that the B12 has already been converted into a form that your body can utilize immediately. With these specialized bioactive forms, the B12 does not need to be converted in order to be available for use by your cells.
IntestiCleanse (Available in Vanilla or Chocolate) is a vegan-friendly detoxifying meal replacement from non-GMO pea protein. Sweetened only with monk-fruit extract, this low-allergy dietary supplement is formulated to optimize gastrointestinal (GI) function and detoxification. This formula utilizes Pure TheraPro Rx's proprietary pea protein blend; Aminogen® to facilitate protein absorption; phytonutrients; mineral amino acid chelates; and activated B vitamins: Quatrefolic® and methylcobalamin. When consumed with a modified elimination diet, IntestiCleanse offers exceptional support to the liver and kidneys’ natural capacity to eliminate toxins and provide optimal nutrients for overall GI health.