With our springtime snowstorm, I’m in the mood for baking. I haven’t made Banana Bread is quite some time. I thought I’d try a new recipe: one that uses coconut oil and whole wheat flour. I’ve never made banana bread with cinnamon, but it really gave this bread a nice flavor.
Whole Wheat Honey
1/3 cup melted coconut oil
1/2 cup honey
1 cup mashed ripe bananas
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, plus more to swirl on top
1 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup hot water
Optional: 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit (165 degrees Celsius) and grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, beat oil and honey together. Add eggs and beat well.
- Stir in bananas and vanilla, then stir in the salt and cinnamon. Lastly, stir in the flour, just until combined (add optional nuts).
- Add baking soda to hot water, stir to mix, and then mix briefly into batter until it is evenly distributed. Spread batter into the greased loaf pan.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and swirl with a toothpick or the tip of a butter knife for a pretty marbled effect.
- Bake for 60 to 65 minutes. Be sure to check that the bread is done baking by inserting a toothpick in the top. It should come out clean. Let the bread cool in the loaf pan for 5 minutes, then transfer it to a wire rack to cool for 30 minutes before slicing.
For a synopsis of the Baby Bites book, Click Here.
CLICK HERE for ordering information for Baby Bites: Transforming a Picky Eater into a Healthy Eater and The Forest Feast: Baby Bites Mealtime Adventures.