Italian Hamburger Helper
Have you noticed how much the cost of food has increased in the past few months? If you haven’t noticed, you will soon. It’s only going to get worse next year with QE3 continuing into infinity.
Hamburger Helper is an expensive way to stretch a meal with ground beef. You can do the same thing without the added cost or artificial ingredients.
This recipe can be adjusted to feed a larger family or to extend the beef further by adding an additional cup of cooked brown rice.
½ cup breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 pound cooked hamburger
3 cups of your favorite tomato sauce
¼ cup Parmesan cheese
1 cup cooked brown rice
1 small sliced onion
1 sliced zucchini1 teaspoon dried oregano or basil
Salt & pepper
1. Combine breadcrumbs, cheese and 1 tablespoon olive oil.
2. Sauté the onion in a tablespoon of olive oil; then brown meat. Drain off fat.
3. Stir in cooked brown rice to meat. Spoon into a 9″x11″ baking pan. Top with sliced onion and zucchini.
4. Drizzle with 1tablespoon olive oil.
5. Top with breadcrumb mixture.
Bake about 15 or 20 minutes at 450 F until bubbly.