Pumpkin seeds are native to the Americas. They are flat, dark green seeds. You can find them in many markets throughout the year. It is in the fall, pumpkins are easily purchased in grocery stores. Pumpkin seeds are called pepitas in Mexico and are a trademark of Mexican cuisine. They are also popular in Greece.
It’s easy to make your own pumpkin seeds. Retrieve them from a fresh pumpkin. Then wash and dry the seeds. Place them in a single layer on a cookie sheet and light roast them in 170 degree oven for 15 minutes. Eat them as a healthy snack, add them to salads or cereal. Pumpkin seeds can be added to oatmeal raisin cookies or a granola recipe.
Katelyn says Pumpkin Seeds are fun and easy to make snack.
- Are filled with lots of minerals including phosphorus, magnesium, manganese, iron and copper.
- Are a good source of vitamin K.
- Contain phytosterols, compounds that that have been shown to reduce levels of LDL cholesterol.
- Contain L-tryptophan, which helps with good sleep and lowering depression. Tryptophan is converted into serotonin and niacin. Serotonin is also very helpful in helping us to have a good night’s sleep.
- Are high in zinc, making them a natural protector against osteoporosis. Low intake of zinc is linked to higher rates of osteoporosis. In a study of almost 400 men (age from 45-92) published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition they found a correlation between low dietary intake of zinc, low blood levels of the trace mineral and osteoporosis at the hip and spine.
- Are a good source vitamin E; they contain about 35.10 mg of tocopherol per 100 g.
- Are the most alkaline-forming seed.
- Are an excellent source of vitamin B group (thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, pantothenic acid, vitamin B-6 (pyridoxine) and folates).
- Contain good quality protein: 100 g seeds provide 30 g.
- According to studies, pumpkin seeds prevent calcium oxalate kidney stone formation.
- Reduce inflammation for arthritis without the side effects of anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Are used in many cultures as a natural treatment for tapeworms and other parasites.