As we celebrate our country’s independence, I’m concerned for our children’s vanishing heritage. Our children’s future is being systemically destroyed—by BOTH parties.
Our Founding Fathers drafted the Constitution to preserve our liberties and protect us from presidential abuse. They knew that power always corrupts.
Liberal or Conservative?
Piece by piece, both political parties are chipping away at our liberties. Presidents George W. Bush and Barack H. Obama have systematically put in place laws, policies, and bureaucracies that can, are, and will continue to strip American citizens of the constitutional protections of their liberties. Our children’s heritage for life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness is vanishing.
People are consumed with tearing apart the opposing political party, especially during an election year. This is a distraction as they share the same goal. Nothing really changes. Oh for sure, the Left complains when a Republican is in office, and the Right complains when a Democrat is in office. Equally disturbing to me is how the media is no longer an impartial check on government.
Both parties argue over “Who spent more?” and “Who caused four years of over 8 percent unemployment?” “Who is responsible for the 40 percent drop in Americans’ net worth?” and “Who has broken more campaign promises?” While these may be important questions, the answers will not resolve our children’s vanishing heritage.
It is my prayer, whether you are a Republican or Democrat, that the accumulation of governmental power listed below will put the current political landscape into perspective. It did for me. Our children’s heritage is in jeopardy.
President George W. Bush
Fear propels stripping of our liberties.
1. President Bush redefined American freedom with his “War on Terror.” Bush passed the Patriot Act in the wake of 9/11. It gives the government the ability to access business records, conduct roving wiretaps, and monitor individual terrorists, erasing our right to privacy.
2. Bush suspended search and seizure rights and created the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). The DHS brought together 22 agencies under one department, making it one of the largest departments in the executive branch. It includes the TSA, which continues to harass the young and elderly, all in the pretense of keeping us “safe” from terrorism.
Note: Both parties had their hand in the creation of the Patriot Act and the Department of Homeland Security. G. W. Bush signed them into law, but they were actually the brainchild of President Bill Clinton. It took an “emergency” for bipartisan support.
3. In 2007, Bush signed a statement for postal reform giving the government power to open mail without a warrant “under emergency conditions.”
4. Bush more than doubled the size of federal government, largely because of the War on Terror. The national debt when he took office was $4 trillion; after eight years it totaled $10 trillion.
President Barack H. Obama
Then came the man promising “change.”
Americans are still congratulating themselves for voting in the first black president. Obama’s charisma blinded most Americans, preventing them from seeing their rights systematically dismantled in record time.
Everything lost under Bush has NOT been restored, but further eroded. If you think Bush is evil for signing the Patriot Act, removing our right to privacy, consider this: Obama signed a 4-year extension of the law in 2011.
Obama transforms America:
1. In 2010, the Dodd-Frank Financial Reform Bill under Obama was touted as “consumer protection.” The Dodd-Frank Bill created both the Financial Stability Oversight Council and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, giving each agency effectively unlimited power to control by fiat the nation’s financial, banking, and investment sectors. There are no limits on the regulators’ power.
2. The Food Safety Modernization Bill was signed by Obama in January 2011. It brings ALL food grown in the US under FDA control and allows for warrant-less searches. Furthermore, “There is NO absolute right to consume or feed children any particular food.” So forget parental rights.
3. March 16, 2012, Obama updated Bill Clinton’s National Defense Resources Preparedness. Your land, your food, your water and your abilities as a laborer are a wholly owned subsidiary of the United States government. The government even has the right to your stored food and veggie garden. Whenever you see that a bill has been “updated,” look for expansion of powers. Obama made two significant changes. First, the power to suspend citizens’ freedoms is now given to various governmental secretaries. In the past, only the president could do so. More disturbing is the phrase “under both emergency and non-emergency conditions” has been added. At any time the government can choose to initiate the provisions of this order. This amounts to peacetime marital law.
4. The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, commonly referred to as Obamacare, was upheld today in a US Supreme Court ruling. It becomes functional in 2014. The court ruled the mandate is unconstitutional… BUT found a loophole: It can stay as part of Congress’ power under a taxing clause. The court said the government will be allowed to tax people for not having health insurance. What’s worse is that in the 2,700-page Obamacare monstrosity there are 2,500 references to the Secretary of Health and Human Services. There are more than 700 instances when the health secretary is instructed that something must be done. Almost another 1,000 instances exist where something can be implemented at their discretion. Anyway you dice it, one person will be in charge of the healthcare of 310 million Americans!
5. Obama inherited a debt of $10 trillion. The national debt today is nearly $16 trillion. After Obama’s first term (4 years), the debt could top $20 trillion, doubling the amount when he first took office.
Drones can spy on our backyards without a warrant.
The Supreme Court ruled on May 24 that a Jacksonville man can be tried a second time for the same crime. This totally disregards the 5th Amendment where we are protected against double jeopardy.
Obama oversees the Secret Kill (Assassination) List. This is a high-value target list of people whom they would rather kill than take hostage.
Presently, the Internet is where people can find information not totally controlled by the establishment, although, an Internet “kill” button has been approved by Congress. Already, Obama has had information, which he decided was unflattering, scrubbed from the Internet.
Coming Attractions: More Government Power
Obama wants a massive compulsory civilian service/defense, which will require people to spy on their neighbors. (The American Community Survey, a part of the US Census Bureau, already requires answering questions about your neighbors and is an invasion of privacy. The ACS is sent to 3 million households a year. There is a threat of a $5,000 fine for each question not answered.)
More than 100 new taxes are being levied. Clean energy is the engine driving the new proposed taxes: Carbon Tax and Cap and Trade.
Incremental Loss of Freedom
The truth is that everyone is being propagandized. Each new bill expands government control. Benign bill titles make us feel good. The Patriot Act infringes on our Constitutional right to privacy, but its name sounds so, well, patriotic! They can do this, because media no longer holds the government accountable.
Big Brother is not fiction, but is living in America. Between the last two presidents we have government intrusion and in many cases total control in: privacy, information, the nation’s financial, banking and investment sectors, unlimited powers in emergencies as well as peacetime, travel, health, and even our food and water.
Real Hope and Change
Our liberties have been taken hostage. It no longer matters who sits in the Oval Office unless that person is willing to dismantle each government intrusion ALREADY in place. We are oblivious to what we have lost, because we don’t know what was given to us by our Founding Fathers.
What happens next is up to us. Abraham Lincoln expressed it best when he said we are a “Government of the people, by the people, for the people…” Have your kids memorize the Preamble to the Constitution. Point out that it begins with “We the People,” not the government. Memorize the Bill of Rights. (I’ve linked both the Preamble to the Constitution and the Bill of Rights: Click Here.)
Even though revisionists have done their best to deny it: America was founded on God and His laws. To prevent the total demise of America, as we know it, and deleting our children’s heritage, we must get down on our knees in prayer. Pray the hearts of not only our politicians but the people will be turned toward God. Teach your children Scripture, so they may know the promises of God. A good place to begin is 2 Chronicles 7:14: “If my people, who are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.”
It will only take one “emergency” for the president to click ON all the powers already passed into law. In an instant, our children’s heritage will vanish.
The video link below offers a unique perspective on our political scene.
It begins with President Obama, but also covers the GW Bush years.
(Note: Joann Bruso will resume blogging about family nutrition and food news next week.)