Joy’s Favorite Roast Chicken
One 3-pound farm-raised organic chicken (for larger chickens, add more time)
1 tablespoon (or more) salt
Freshly ground black pepper
2 or 3 sweet potatoes
1 large onion
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees
1. Wash and thoroughly dry the chicken inside and out with paper towels. The less steam and drier heat the crispier the chicken. Salt and pepper the cavity.
2. Truss the chicken (tie the legs together with cooking twine).
3. “Rain” the salt over the chicken. Rain salt on both sides of the chicken.
4. Place the chicken in a roasting pan. Cut up the sweet potatoes (thick slices) and onion (also thick slices) and scatter on the bottom of the pan to catch the fat drippings to help with splatter and also to have something else super yummy to eat!
5. Roast the chicken for 40 min (breast side down) then turn it and cook it for an additional 20 more min (breast side up) to get the other side crispy.
6. When you take it out of the oven to let it rest flip it back over so the juices run back into the breast of the chicken. Let it rest on a cutting board for 15 minutes.
7. Slice the chicken and serve with the sweet potatoes. (Save the bones and use for chicken stock.)
*After you carve the chicken, DON”T throw away the bones and innards. Save them for Bone Soup. Click Here for the recipe.