Do you have a picky eater? A child must be exposed to a food between ten and twenty times before she’ll readily accept it. This is especially true for fussy eaters. Most parent give up way too soon. One way to expose your picky eater to more foods is to include her/him in the process of cooking. Even a preschooler will eagerly taste new foods if she/he has helped to make the meal.
Eating is more than taste. Helping to prepare meals employs all the senses. The more you include your picky eater in meal preparation, the more likely she/he will eat it.
Tasks a Preschooler Can Accomplish
(The following was taken from page 58 of Baby Bites: Transforming a Picky Eater into a Healthy Eater. Click Here for a synopsis.)
1. Set the table.
2. Clear the table.
3. Toss things in the trash.
4. Identify and bring items within reach from the pantry.
5. Measure ingredients.
6. Break eggs into a bowl with assistance.
7. Use a plastic knife to cut soft fruit and cheese.
8. Make sandwiches.
9. Toss salads.
10. Serve her/himself cereal with assistance pouring the milk.
Katelyn thinks it’s even more fun to help mom
cook wearing a fancy chef’s hat and apron.