Looking for a healthy alternative to boxed mac and cheese?
This recipe is in Baby Bites: Transforming a Picky Eater into a Healthy Eater. The taste and texture is slightly different from the boxed version of Macaroni and Cheese.
Most picky eaters don’t like “different.” If your child is used to eating processed macaroni and cheese, then call this recipe “Cheese Casserole,” so it won’t be compared to the lifeless boxed stuff. Once taste buds have experienced Nonna’s World Famous Mac & Cheese, they’ll never want to eat the boxed variety, again.
2 cups macaroni shells
1 stick butter
¾ cup chopped onions
¾ cup chopped carrots
¾ cup chopped celery
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1/3 cup pastry wheat flour or arrowroot powder
2½ cups whole milk
8 ounces grated cheddar cheese
1. Finely chop all vegetables. For a very fine texture, use a food processor.
2. In a medium saucepan cook elbow macaroni according to directions.
3. Melt butter in saucepan.
4. Saute vegetables in melted butter for about 10 minutes.
5. Whisk in salt, pepper and flour to mixture.
6. Pour in milk and mix until all lumps disappear.
7. Turn heat to low and add cheddar cheese.
8. While cheese is melting, drain the water from the macaroni noodles and then add to sauce.
9. Stir and heat through.