I know what you’re thinking, “Nonna Joann NEVER posts recipes with sugar.” So, what’s this?
Okay, we all eat sugar from time to time. My message is that it should be seldom and on purpose. You can’t make fudge without sugar, now can you?
This is my dad’s recipe. I’ve never tasted anything as good as this and it’s so easy! The problem is that you’ll be tempted to eat it all yourself and this recipe makes about 4½ pounds of fudge.
I make it about twice a year before I’m having a crowd over, so I’m not tempted to eat too much myself. During the holidays homemade fudge is a perfect gift. In the photo above, you see Papa’s Fudge in a serving platter for guests and the small dish is intended as a gift.
8 oz (3 cups) semisweet chocolate chips (You’ll want to use the best chocolate chips you can find with real-food ingredients. I use either Ghirardelli 60% cocoa bittersweet chocolate or Double Chocolate, both make wonderful fudge.
½ pound butter cut in chunks
4 cups sugar (I use organic sugar. Sugar is sugar and will affect blood sugar levels, but organic sugar hasn’t been bleached and isn’t from GMO sugar cane.)
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
12 oz can of evaporated milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
Optional: 1 cup chopped walnuts
1. Place chocolate chips and butter chunks in metal bowl.
2. Pour the evaporate milk into a saucepan, add the sugar, and cream of tartar.
3. On high heat, stir with wooden spoon until it comes to a boil.
4. When the mixture comes to a full boil, set the oven timer for 6 minutes, stirring all the while. (You may have to turn the heat down a little.) You must stir and cook for the full six minutes. Set your timer. This is the candy-making stage.
5. Pour the sugar mixture over the butter and chocolate chips. Mix until the butter is melted.Add the vanilla and optional nuts.
6. Pour into a buttered 9 X 14 inch rectangle pan.
7. Refrigerate for one hour. Cut into pieces and serve at room temperature.
My storybook, The Forest Feast makes a great holiday gift for a child. When the parenting book, Baby Bites: Transforming a Picky Eater into a Healthy Eater, is purchased with The Forest Feast, you’ll save! Click Here for ordering information.