Mild-Mannered Oats A Super Food
Oats have super powers to lower cholesterol: because of soluble fiber. The soluble fiber acts as broom to sweep out cholesterol from the blood. One and half cups of cooked oatmeal provides enough beta-gluten to significantly lower blood cholesterol and heart attack risk.
Instant oatmeal is loaded with sugars and it’s expensive. Instant oatmeal sounds like a time-saver, but it takes only minutes to cook rolled oats. You can make tasty oatmeal breakfasts from rolled oats without the added sugars and save.
Cooking Directions for Rolled Oats
1¾ cups water
1 cup oats
Method: Bring the water and salt to a boil add the oats. Give a quick stir. Reduce heat to low. Don’t stir again; cook 5 minutes or so until all the liquid is absorbed. For thicker oatmeal use less water, for thinner use more water.
Cook oatmeal according to above directions, add one mashed banana per 2 servings.
Apple Walnut Oatmeal
1) Replace half the water with apple juice or apple sauce.
2) Peel, core, and cut into bite-size pieces, 1 apple for every 2 servings.
3) Cook oatmeal according to above directions.
4) Add a handful of chopped walnuts
5) Dash of cinnamon on top of each bowl of Apple Walnut Oatmeal
Creamy Pink Strawberry Oatmeal
1) Replace water with milk.
2) Pour cooked oatmeal into a blender and process.
3) Add 1/2 cup strawberries and process again.
5) Top with one strawberry slice.