1 medium chopped onion
1/2 chopped pepper (yellow, green, or red)
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 small carrot, chopped
4 cloves chopped garlic
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (if chicken or vegetable broth is substituted, more may be required)
2 cup lentils
Salt & pepper
32 ounces chicken or vegetable broth
1 medium chopped tomato
2 bay leafs
¼ cup chopped parsley
Small shell macaroni
1. In a large pan, sauté the onion, celery, and pepper for about 10 minutes in olive oil or chicken broth. Add the garlic the last 2 minutes.
2. Wash and drain the lentils.
3. Add the lentils, salt, pepper, bay leafs, and the broth to the vegetable mixture.
4. Bring to a boil; then reduce the heat. Cover and simmer for about 45 minutes, until the lentils are tender.
5. Cook the small shell macaroni and add to each bowl of soup.