Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees and then bake a pre-made single crust whole-wheat pie shell for 10 minutes or make your own pie crust. Recipe follows. Remove pie crust and reduce heat to 350 degrees.
While crust is in the oven assemble:
4 beaten eggs
1¼ cups milk
2 sliced green onions
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 pre-grilled chicken breast
10 ounces chopped frozen broccoli
1½ cups shredded Swiss cheese
or Jack or Cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon flour
Optional: Top with Picante sauce
1. Defrost broccoli and squeeze water out.
2. Chop cooked chicken breast into one-inch pieces.
3. Finely chop green onions.
4. Mix eggs, milk, green onions, salt, pepper, and nutmeg in a bowl. Stir in chicken and broccoli.
5. Toss together shredded cheese and flour; then add to egg mixture.
6. Pour egg mixture into hot baked pastry shell.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes, until knife comes out clean.
8. Let stand for 5 minutes.
10-minute prep time to make pie crust
Pastry Wheat Crust
This recipe is adapted from my friend Carole who is the best pie lady in Colorado!
Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees
1¼ cup whole-wheat pastry flour
½ cup butter or coconut oil
¼ cup very cold water
¼ teaspoon salt
In a food processor:
1. Mix flour, salt and shortening together until you have an even mixture of crumbs.
2. Add cold water and mix until there’s a consistent dough ball. If time permits put in the refrigerator, until cool throughout, if not proceed to next step.
3. Toss a little flour onto your working surface. Try not to handle dough too much, press dough into a flattened ball. Roll into a 12 inch circle with a rolling pin.
4. Place rolled out dough and fit in pie pan.
5. Pierce the dough several times with a fork
Go to step one for the Sunday Quiche, then add ingredients and bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes until a knife inserted into the quiche comes out clean.